About us

About us

Dear Jesus, life’s journey often passes over rocky terrain. If You take us by hand, it would not be that difficult to us …

The Congregation of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was founded in June 1952. It was late Mother Scholastica who with the grace of God dared to form this new religious Congregation having Azhagappapuram as its headquarters. With the mother there were 6 members in the beginning. There were many hands that were helping during the initial journey of this religious Congregation. But the first one’s were Rev.Fr. Navamony (Azhagappapuram, Tuticorin Diocese), Rev.Fr.Antonymuthu (Kurusady, Kottar Diocese, later the bishop of vellore) and Rev.Fr.Matthias (KuruKottar Diocese).

There were so many other good hearted lay people who were with them in their initial struggles. With great struggle for many years, in the year 1993, it was officially recognized by the Roman Pontif as a Diocesan Right Religious Congregation. At present we are around 300 sisters doing service in 4 countries.

We live, pray and minister in community drawn by a common call to give our life completely to Jesus Christ, His Church and His people. We also find a model in our Foundress Very Rev. Mother Scholastica who answered God’s call generously and began our Congregation. We have Ignatian Spirituality to guide us and our charism of “Service to the abandoned” for our apostolate in the world. With the true love for Jesus Christ we want to build the Kingdom of God in the world and dedicate ourselves to the service of the poor through loving kindness. Our daily encounter with God transforms us into contemplatives in action (St.Ignatius).

History